Vauxhall Bertone Owners Club

All times are UTC

<---
HOME | FORUM | GARAGE | PHOTOGALLERY | SEARCH | ARCADE

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alarm Troubleshooting at no cost
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014 20:28 

Have thanks: 0 times
I recently bought a 2002 Astra Bertone now named "Martin" on account of my daughter getting confused and telling my wife I was buying an Astra Martin. When I viewed it the dealer said it had a "sophisticated alarm". I was correct to be concerned and so am sharing my experiences in case it helps others...
1) When I viewed the car, the doors were unlocked. When I went to pay for it, the doors were locked and the alarm went off when I unlocked them. The dealer did not have a working fob and so could only turn it off by starting the ignition. I managed to negotiate a new fob in the deal which sorted this issue. See the owners manual for how to synchronise the new mob (no fancy equipment or working fob required).
2) A few days later, the alarm went off at 1am. Using the fob, I turned it off and reset it. It then went off at 2am, so I left it unlocked for the rest of the night. At work the next morning, I was just telling my colleagues to let me know if the alarm goes off, when the siren sounded. I had 3 chirps whenever I removed the key from the ignition, so reading other messages, concluded the battery in the powersounder battery was running low. I decided to simply remove the powersounder by following these instructions: http://vb-oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2462&hilit=powersounder. The instructions are great, but I did struggle to remove the clips on the covering panel - the secret is to push with a point such as a blunt nail on the center piece of the clip.
3) With the powersounder removed, I locked the car with the fob and went for a coffee. A few minutes later, the horn repeatedly sounded. Apparently, the alarm activates both the siren and the horn so if there is a fault, removing the siren does not help. I decided to try deactivating the motion and tip sensors as described in the manual. I mis-read this first time, but is actually very simple - there are two interior lights - just press and release the buttons for both lights at the same time. The red alarm activation light flashes several times to show that the sensors are deactivated. Bingo, the alarm no longer went off.
4) After forgetting to press the 2 interior light buttons several times, I decided to find a better solution. It was very simple - cut two small pieced of electrical tape into circles and put over the sensors that are built into the interior light. A week later and no false alarms :)
Hope this helps, Gary

WARNING

This thread has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and/or logged in to view this response.

or
 Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]